Thursday, October 2, 2008

Derrick and Dre R.I.P.

Om, Asato Ma Sat Gamaya
Tamaso Ma Jyotir Gamaya
Mrityor Ma Amritam Gamaya

Lead us from unreal to real,
Lead us from darkness to light,
Lead us from the fear of death
To knowledge of immortality.

Many of you know that Derrick, my partner of the last 3.5 years, and I parted ways three weeks ago. This has been a huge adjustment for us and I just haven't found a way to broadcast it on my blog yet. Basically I have needed some mourning space.

Derrick has been the most influential figure of my life since we have met. Our relationship represented idealism, groundedness, growth of consciousness and domestic bliss. He supported me and gave me a taste of what it feels like to be a grounded person. I never would have had produced three shows of post undergraduate artwork on my own, nor had the strength to go through the dark times alone that we have gone through together. I believe that out of all of our struggles and victories together I have truly learned to rise up out of muck as the diamond I am. The strength of our partnership has propelled and prepared me for this next phase of my life.

In this next phase of my life, Derrick will not be my life partner. Our relationship has prepared me to stand on my own as a spiritual warrior, which I plan to do with much strength. Much that I would not have known without knowing him.

It is with endless love and gratitude that I honor Derrick and our time together. He and I are both starting to gain perspective and it seems that by releasing each other, we are giving ourselves chances to grow and strengthen in other ways. Ways that are ready to show themselves at this time.

Because of our proximity, we cannot have an official ceremony. It is therefore, with this blog entry, that I (and Derrick in spirit) bless the separation. To all of our beloved family and friends, please start to think of us as two separate people instead of one unit. Please send us thoughts of love and support as we embark on the next part of our respective journeys.

I know this has been a difficult change for many of us. One of the most painful parts of this for me has been feeling my family's sadness as we 'lose' a family member. I know it has been hard, and I wouldn't have made the decision if I didn't think it was the right one. If there are any family members of mine who would like to give Derrick any loving well wishes or thoughts, please email him any time:
derrickjg@gmail.com he will appreciate the message.

And check out Derrick's journeys at his blog:

http://bikeset.wordpress.com




No comments: