Sunday, February 22, 2009

Golly

When the car pulled into the dark and rolled away from the glowing mothership of kripalu, I felt strange. EARTH SPACE rolled under my feet as I soaked in the flavor of my aunt's intense aura and clutched my black tormaline, gazing out the window and coming into stride with this new wavelength. Why this felt unchartered was beyond me--I've been driven down that driveway dozens of times, and I have embarked on trips away a few times as well. Why can't I trick my energy body, "Why yes, see, we'll just be driving into town to pick up some things, then we'll be back by bed time." Maybe I would have felt strange all the same if I was just going into town for a beer or whatever. Maybe I was just feeling strange. There was, however, some tint IN the strangeness that hinted at the nature of the journey I was about to take. My hat brim concealed my eyes as I sat in the shade, deciphering subtle washes of sensation that seemed to glaze through the atmosphere, through me.

The kirtan cd that my aunt had purchased droned on and on, and after an hour or so she felt it too--she needed a break from the vibe. We pulled into a stop so she could have a coffee. My cousin Magdalene and I ate ice cream. The rest stop played only non-american music...an interesting contrast considering the nature of the architecture of the place...I imagined 30 other travel stops just like it, all playing the same uncommon music. When we walked in, the structure of the space was very intentionally set up. The very brightly lit right side of the space had Mcdonalds and other fast foods with no seating--for travelers on the run. Bathrooms were directly to the back. The left side of the building was decidedly low lit, and had the upscale "LAVAZZA--Italy's favorite coffee" and Ben and Jerry's. We hung out on the LAVAZZA side in a dark and rainy booth. On the walls were some photographs that seemed like a cross between commercial artwork made for the space and advertisements. Only if they were advertisements there was nothing being advertised. Have you ever tried to make an advertisement without actually advertising anything? I have some tips for you: lots of open mouth smiles, a couple shot, and a familial shot. Cynthia perked up from the LAVAZZA and conversation, we were well rested from the rest stop and we were ready to go. All those open mouth smiles and intentional lighting worked. That and the dopamine that they were pumping into the air supply. The future is now.

Mags played the latest N*E*R*D cd for her mom's driving music and I have to say I was disappointed. It worked for Cynthia. All she had to hear was the hook, "All the girls standing in line for the bathroom," and the logic of the language tittilated her Virgo mentality enough to stimulate her, she riffed on with the music, harmonizing with her voice and drumming with her hands. My aunt is such a treat.

We arrived in Nashua and pulled into their driveway around 11:00. We had tea and Mags tucked me in and read me a bedtime story. Ferdinand. I didn't want the pictures, I closed my eyes and imagined myself as a big strong bull who stood steady around all the bullfighters who wanted to fight me, smelling flowers and enjoying the stillness.

No comments: