Friday, August 15, 2008

Breaking

So something has come to my attention that I'm pretty happy about. I was going to start somewhere else with this, but I'll just launch into it.

I have had a curiousity about breakdancing for quite some time now. Also, in yoga, I'm pretty good at arm balances. In more of an ashtanga yogic tradition, the flows of the practice definitely look like a dance. Culturally, as we all know, I LOVE hip hop and all of its aspects of spiritual growth and transformation. At its healthiest state it represents a spiritual empowerment from an authentic place, and that is what I am all about in terms of my art teaching and yoga teaching, and what I want to do for the next generation.

So breakdancing is in my awareness. Yoga is in my awareness. People who do yoga and can have a good time without drinking are in my awareness. So I feel like the conditions are right for this heart's desire of mine to bubble up and manifest.

I met someone awhile ago who is a hare krishna staying here as a yoga teacher trainer and he practices break dancing every night before he goes to bed. I met a 17 year old Colombian who works in veggie prep with me who skateboards and is teaching himself to break dance in his spare time. By the way, he will be a junior in high school this year and I really like the energy of being around high school students--it kind of makes me miss substitute teaching.

Last night it was my friend Nicole's birthday and some fellow volunteers and I went out to dance at a club in Lenox--which was really fun, but also my friend Scott who is a yoga teacher and volunteer busted out some breakdancing moves. I appreciate Scott because when I tell him I am from Missouri, not only does he not treat me like a hick, he actually has attended Mizzou as well. Very affirming.

I think I am going to do some breakdancing.

No comments: