Monday, August 24, 2009

Strange and Beautiful Underwater City

So now I have been to New York City.

And right now, I am sitting in Kim's East Harlem apartment.

It is cool and still in here. The outside is grey, although all that I can see of it is from the light reflected off of the building outside the windows. It is quiet, although outside life is happening. Planes to La Guardia fly overhead every once in awhile. I hear diesel engines of delivery trucks and men hawking loogies and shouting at each other. But all of this action seems to be contained in an overarcing stillness, as if this whole experience were contained within an ocean. Not me seperate from it. I am in the same ocean.

When I dipped into meditation for my morning practice, the stillness was large. Loud. Full. I wonder if when meditation happens if it is merely a tuning into a wavelength. I imagine different places have different wavelengths, and I imagine there are also many to choose from at that.

This is like no other place I have been to before. My first impression of this was a complete otherworldliness. As if I was on another planet or in an alternate reality. And the longer I sink into this environment, it feels like just that, a sinking in, a surrender. If I chose to I could feel claustrophobic. However, in the ocean, going under feels very contained and seperated and at the same time very vast and connected.

I had to get used to breathing here. It reminds me of my dreams where I can breathe underwater. As I entered my pranayama (breath) practice this morning, however, I realized that I could very much breathe this air in and harness life force from it by becoming it. Nothing to fight, spirits tell me. The energy is loving and powerful. Elemental. There may be extra pollution and things in the air that I am not used to breathing, but the prana I am taking in is something else all together.

The deeper I sink in, I wonder what will happen. I wonder if I will no longer need my eyes to see. All this floating, all this being, all this happening. All this alchemy. All the wavelengths, existing. And where am I? Grounded. Here. Channeling all the this.

1 comment:

Vicktaim said...

I enjoy your blog very much and invite you to check out mine. Thanks! It is Kady's Chandra!